I own the Milani Secret Cover Concealer in 2 shades; Tan and Deep Tan. The current range of shades available on Milani’s US website are: Warm Beige, Golden Beige, Deep Tan, Warm Cocoa, Natural Beige and Beige (as of 25/02/12).
- My skin type is oily, oily, oily!
- I have medium to dark brown skin (for frame of reference I am of Caribbean descent)
- I have yellow undertones in the middle of my face with slightly warmer tones on the outside of my face (chin, jawline, hairline area)
- I suffer from dark pigmentation from previous break outs and spots
These 2 shades are great for my dark skin, finding a concealer to suit my skin tone at a reasonable price here in Australia can prove difficult. Who am I kidding, it’s nearly impossible!
- The packaging is nice, comes in a simple transparent container with a gold rimmed screw cap lid. I like this as it allows you to see the product without opening
- You get 7.7g of product
- The product itself is a thick, creamy consistency, and is highly opaque which provides very good coverage
- Staying power is good, great once set with a powder
- No overbearing scent (almost undetectable)
- Colour range is very good for darker skin, as mentioned above I switch between 2 shades depending on if I have caught some sun…
How I use it…
I apply the Milani concealer over a foundation. I have dark spots from previous breakouts, so once I have finished applying my foundation, I look at my face to see where I still need help. I use my fingers to apply this, warming it up a little by swirling my finger in the product, then I pat gently onto the blemish. A little goes a long way with this stuff, so I would suggest starting with less than you need, then build and blend as necessary. Once I am happy with my conceal-job I start on my eye make up to give the concealer time to set. When I’m happy it has set, I use some loose translucent matte powder with a powder brush to ensure it does not move.
The result is very good coverage with a nice matte finish. This product is great if like me you have darker areas to conceal, and feel you need the extra coverage. I find it is also good used on its own without foundation for a more natural look. The texture is thick…but I find this great in a concealer, this provides more options – you can sheer it out if you have to, or build up when you have a bad skin day.
I find that if applied too heavily, it can become cakey, therefore I wouldn’t suggest using this under the eyes. I would LOVE to see some darker shades of this product for those people with even darker gorgeous mahogany skin.
Overall this product is a pleasure to use. It ticks all the boxes for me:
- It comes in a reasonable shade range
- It applies easily (you don’t need fancy brushes for this!)
- It’s versatile, and at such an affordable price, how can you go wrong!
Calling all darker skin tones in Australia! Do you have gorgeous black, Aboriginal, Asian, Indian, Pakistani, Goan or African skin? Have you tried this or any other Milani products? Do you struggle to find good quality base make up to suit your skin in Oz? Let me know your experiences in the comments, I would be thrilled to hear from you…