An old staple in my makeup collection, I thought it was about time for a review of this foundation…
The Clinique Anti Blemish Solutions Liquid Makeup claims to be: “lightweight for oily or blemish-prone skin that needs smooth coverage and skin-clearing treatment benefits. The oil-free foundation, conceals, controls breakouts, neutralizes the appearance of redness and helps prevent future blemishes while providing moderate coverage and a natural finish that never looks chalky and is soothing to the skin.”
“lightweight for oily or blemish-prone skin that needs smooth coverage and skin-clearing treatment benefits”
The foundation is indeed very lightweight and liquid-y in consistency. Depending on your preference this may be a pro or con. I personally love that the foundation is thinner, even though I like a lot of coverage, I don’t like a thick, heavy, rich product on my face.
“Oil-free foundation, conceals, controls breakouts, neutralizes the appearance of redness and helps prevent future blemishes“
Oil free is definitely a must have in a foundation for me. Although the consistency is thin in consistency, it conceals about 80% of my blemishes and takes away slight redness I have at times. I will say that when working with the foundation I like to work on one section of my face at a time as the foundation dries very, very quickly! I have a quick tip for this though, keep reading to find out how I use it! I will also say that I have not noticed this foundation controlling my breakouts at all. Perhaps by its very nature (matte finish, oil free) it is suited to my skin type and doesn’t aggravate any existing blemishes that I have, however I have not noticed an actual improvement of my skin when using it.
“…while providing moderate coverage and a natural finish that never looks chalky and is soothing to the skin“
The foundation does provide moderate coverage when applied in a thin layer, and absolutely can be built up to full coverage and dries to a matte finish. I will say that if you have drier skin or if you are using the foundation alone (i.e no primer or other product to help work it into the skin), the foundation can actually appear a little chalky. Having read a few reviews on this foundation I think that this is where people may benefit from using a base product on the skin before applying.
I own the shade 07 Fresh Golden. The shade range is pretty decent, and looks like it will cater to a wide range of skin tones, with perhaps the exception of super fair, super dark skin or those with a very yellow tones to their skin. I find the shade pretty bang on close to my actual skin tone; and think that other shades in the range would easily accommodate Asian and Indian skin tones and also darker skin tones similar to mine – Caribbean, Aboriginal and some African skin tones) The packaging is nice, I really like the simple design and the easy to use nozzle which dispenses the right amount of product. I find that you can control how much you want quite easily. I have used this foundation for over 2 years and I really, really love this product. The foundation does almost exactly what it claims to do and works perfectly with my oily skin type. I think the key with this particular foundation is your skin type and how you apply it. When my skin is going through I super oily phase I like to mix and match certain products that help the longevity of my foundation. These include a face spritz, a make up setting spray, setting powder, primer, oil & blemish control facial cleanser/toner/moisturiser. I also find that layering these products depending on oiliness works a treat too… So for day-to-day wear, here’s how I use it:
1. Carefully cleanse & moisturise. Allow your moisturiser to sink into the skin for around 5-10 minutes (depending on your skin type, do what suits you!) Also, choose the type of cleanser/moisturiser you need to suit what your skin is asking for on that particular day. Even if your skin is oily, be gentle with it!
2. On a particularly oily day I will mist my face with an oil control setting spray, if my face seems moderate I will skip this step
3. Primer – I use a smoothing primer on areas of my face that need attention i.e around my nose to reduce visibility of pores and on my chin area where my skin is drier
1. As the foundation dries pretty quickly, I work quickly. I start on one half of my face dotting foundation on my cheek and chin area. I like to put the foundation where I actually need it – sounds like a no brainer, but it helps me to avoid completely smothering my face with product where it’s not needed!
2. Mist the foundation half of my face and my foundation brush with a facial spritz. I use a spritz which is basically just rose water and a couple of other ingredients. This part is key for me. It stops the foundation drying as quickly and allow me to blend the product into my face flawlessly
3. Blend my foundation in a dabbing motion on areas that need more coverage, and buff around the hairline to ensure it looks natural
Repeat on the other half of my face, adding another thin layer if necessary.
1. I sparingly add concealer underneath my eyes and to any particularly stubborn areas, and allow the concealer to set
2. The next key part is to set the foundation. I use a loose translucent powder with a tint and dust over my face with a fluffy powder brush. If my face is super oily I will use a powder puff to press the powder into my skin and dust of the excess with my powder brush. At this stage I will either use the oil control setting spray or facial spritz to bring the life back into my face and prevent the makeup from looking super powdery.
3. Voila, finished!
What I love about this foundation routine is that it really does keep my makeup til the end of the day. I have tested this during a 40 degree Melbourne summer, and it still holds up very well. Overall, I LOVE this foundation, it is my perfect go – to everyday foundation and works great on my skin. Foundation junkie here says: Favourite Foundation Of All Time (so far!!)
If you’re still with me and haven’t fallen into a hazy comatose foundation induced state, leave a comment below! If you’d like to know which products I use in conjunction with my foundation routine, give me a message and let me know (this review is long enough already!) Let me know which foundation you use and what your routine is – whatever your skin type or tone, I’d love to hear from you!